If you are operating a boat with a motor you must have a licence. Getting your boat licence is a two step process, similar to getting your car drivers licence.
Getting a Boat Licence in Victoria
Getting your boat licence is a two step process, similar to getting your car drivers licence.
Study the “Victorian Recreational Boating Safety Handbook”, which is available free from any VicRoads Customer Service Centre or from Marine Safety Victoria or download it here.
After you have studied the book you are ready to take test. You must make an appointment. You can do this by- Calling VicRoads on 13 11 71.
- Visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. View locations.
- Contact an Approved Training Provider.
Cost is approximately $22.10 for the test and $28.40 fro a 1 year General Operator Licence.
Don’t forget to bring sufficient proof of identity in the form of:
- Drivers Licence or
- One Primary document - Birth Certificate or Passport AND
- One Seconary document - Medicare card or Credit Card, or Student Identity Card or Bank Statement AND
- Evidence of residence (if not indicated in the primary or secondary documents
For more information visit the Vic Roads - boat licences web site