Best recipe for Beef & Guinness pie - delicious as a stew, casserole with potato mash or top with pie crust for pot pies.
This delicious rich beef filling can be served with potato mash or can be portioned into individual 'pot pies' and topped with puff pastry.
A slow cooker can be used to prepare the dish a day before (the flavours develop beautifully) and then cooked before serving at 180 degrees for 30 mins or until pastry is golden and/or meat is piping hot. Don't worry about over cooking it on the reheat - it's more important to get the 'core' temperature up nice and high for the sake of taste and safety.
This recipe serves 8 hungry crew (crusty bread & a fresh green salad or veggies are good accompaniments)
1.5kg of diced rump steak (you can use skirt or chuck steak but rump gives a better yield and flavour)
8 tbsp wholemeal flour
Quality sea salt & freshly ground pepper
1 small tin of tomato paste
2 cans of Guinness
600g onions (roughly chopped) or French shallots (peeled and halved)
4 carrots, diced roughly
5 celery stalks (peeled and diced)
1 bunch thyme
6-8 dried bay leaves
6-8 cloves of garlic
1 packet of McCormick "Slow Cookers Recipe Base - Beef & Mushroom Ragout" (no they're not a sponsor - it's just an easy flavour boost :-)
4 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp butter
1. Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl.
2. Coat the beef with the seasoned flour.
3. Heat oil and butter in a large pan and fry the beef cubes in batches until golden brown all over. Place in slow cooker.
4. Add onion to pan and cook until softened (about 4 mins)
5. Add carrot and celery to pan and cook for a further 3 mins.
6. Stir in tomato paste and garlic - cook for 1-2 mins.
7. Pour in Guinness, add herbs & recipe base. Give it a good stir to cook off a little of the alcohol then pour over the meat in the slow cooker.
8. Set the cooker for HIGH over 3 hours or LOW over 5 hours.
9. During the reheat you may like to add some Swiss Brown mushrooms and cooked pancetta (or bacon) for an extra taste sensation!
Recipe by - The Cabin Fever Cook™