Grilled or BBQ Snapper with a tasty spiced dressing.
1.8kg to 2kg whole snapper, scaled, gutted
1 lime, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
mint leaves, shredded green onions and lime wedges, to serve
4 garlic cloves, chopped
5cm piece ginger, peeled, chopped
2 small red chillies, deseeded, chopped
3 long red chillies, chopped
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup fish sauce
2 limes, juiced
1. Heat barbecue grill on medium heat. Rinse belly cavity of fish and clean any blood from backbone. Pat dry with paper towel. Score fish at 2.5cm intervals on both sides to help fish cook evenly.
2. Place 3 layers foil on workbench. Place fish in centre. Arrange lime slices in cavity.
3. Drizzle both sides fish with oil and season well with pepper. Fold foil over fish to cover and fold in sides to enclose.
4. Place fish parcel on barbecue grill. Cook fish for 10 minutes. Turn and cook for 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully unwrap fish and test with a fork as it will flake easily when cooked through.
5. Transfer to a plate. Stand for 5 minutes.
6. Make spiced dressing -, place garlic, ginger and chillies in a small food processor. Process to a paste.
7. Transfer to a saucepan. Add sugar, fish sauce, 100ml lime juice and 2 tablespoons cold water. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes or until thick. Set aside to cool.
8. Place fish on a serving platter. Pour over dressing. Top with mint and green onions. Serve with lime wedges.
Thank you - P. Cunningham